Understanding Your PSAT Scores
High School Opportunties
- TVCC is offering 50, $300 scholarships for 10th and 11th grade students in the TVCC area that would like to enroll in TVCC Dual Credit Fall 2017. Applications are due April 15, 2017. TVCC DUAL CREDIT SCHOLARSHIP 10th 11th 4 15 2017.pdf
- Want to go on a tour of Washington DC for FREE? TVEC is providing that opportunity to 10th, 11th, and 12th graders. Complete a Youth Tour Application by February 6th for your chance to earn this FREE trip. Find out more at https://www.tvec.net/community/tvec-youth-tour.html 2017_Youth_Tour_Application_Process_Form.pdf
- Texas Tech is offering a FREE leadership camp opportunity for 2018 Seniors. Camp will be August 1st - 4th. Find out more information and complete the online application here by March 31st.
- Sam Houston State University offers Criminal Justice Summer Camps. This camp is open for students 15-17 years of age. The camp does cost but scholarships are available. For more information or to complete an application visit: Sam Houston Summer Camps Applications for this camp are due April 3, 2017.
- Get connected with the Wills Point High School Counseling Center through Remind 101. Once you sign up you will receive reminders about activities going on through the Counseling Center, scholarship opportunities, leadership opportunities, and more. Sign up for your class reminders. For more details check out Remind 101.pdf
Personal Counseling Resources
BULLYING PREVENTION WEBSITES:
Cyberbully.org (www.cyberbully.org) provides information about "cyberbullying" - the use of the Internet by children and adolescents to harass, intimidate, and socially exclude their peers. Resources on this website include the "Educator's Guide to Cyberbullying" and the "Cyberbullying Needs Assessment Survey."
Stop Bullying Now Campaign www.stopbullyingnow.hrsa.gov/index.asp) - sponsored by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, offers educational materials for parents, educators, and health professionals.
SUICIDE PREVENTION RESOURCES IN TEXAS:
Mental Health America in Texas (www.mhatexas.org) - MHAT has developed the "Coming Together to Care Suicide Prevention Toolkit" which was funded by the Department of State Health Services and created the Texas Suicide Prevention Website: www.texassuicideprevention.org
Suicide Prevention Resource Center (www.sprc.org) - The Suicide Prevention Resource Center (SPRC) provides prevention support, training and materials to strengthen suicide prevention efforts. Among the resources found on its website is the SPRC Library Catalog ( http://library.sprc.org), a searchable database containing a wealth of information on suicide and suicide prevention, including publications, peer-reviewed research studies, curricula, and web-based resources. Many of these items are available online.
American Foundation for Suicide Prevention (www.afsp.org) - The American Foundation for Suicide Prevention (AFSP) is dedicated to advancing our knowledge of suicide and our ability to prevent it. AFSP's activities include supporting research projects; providing information and education about depression and suicide; promoting professional education for the recognition and treatment of depressed and suicidal individuals; publicizing the magnitude of the problems of depression and suicide and the need for research, prevention, and treatment; and supporting programs for suicide survivor treatment, research, and education.
National Center for Injury Prevention and Control (www.cdc.gov/ncipc) - The National Center for Injury Prevention and Control (NCIPC), located at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, is a valuable source of information and statistics about suicide, suicide risk, and suicide prevention. To locate information on suicide and suicide prevention, scroll down the left-hand navigation bar on the NCIPC website and click on "Suicide" under the "Violence" heading.
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline (www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org) - The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline provides immediate assistance to individuals in suicidal crisis by connecting them to the nearest available suicide prevention and mental health service provider through a toll-free telephone number: 800-273-TALK (8255). Technical assistance, training, and other resources are available to the crisis centers and mental health service providers that participate in the network of services linked to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline.
SAT/ACT College Entrance Exams Information
The ACT, SAT and SAT Subject Tests are exams designed to assess your academic readiness for college. These exams provide a path to opportunities, financial support and scholarships, in a way that's fair to all students.
The SAT and SAT Subject Tests keep pace with what colleges are looking for today, measuring the skills required for success in the 21st century. The SAT is the most widely used college admission test. Learn what it tests and how you can best prepare. SAT Subject tests can complement or enhance your college admission credentials. Click on the SAT/College Board Home Page to learn more about this test, testing dates, and to register for the SAT.
The ACT is a national college admissions examination that consists of subject area tests in English, Mathematics, Reading and Science. Click on the ACT information page to learn more about this test, testing dates, and to register for the ACT.
What are the differences between the SAT and the ACT?
The ACT is an achievement test, measuring what a student has learned in school. The SAT is more of an aptitude test, testing reasoning and verbal abilities. The ACT has up to 5 components: English, Mathematics, Reading, Science, and an optional Writing Test. The SAT has only 3 components: Critical Reasoning, Mathematics, and a require an optional Writing Test. ACT continues to offer its well-established test, plus an optional writing test. You take the ACT Writing Test only if required by the college/s to which you're applying.
The ACT and SAT are scored based on the number of correct answers with no penalty for guessing.
The ACT has an Interest Inventory that allows students to evaluate their interests in various career options.
The college/s of your choice may require a specific test or they may accept either test. Be sure you check the requirements of your college/s.
ALL THINGS COLLEGE
GPA Converter - What is my GPA on a 4.0 scale? This calculator will give you a good estimate. http://em.tsu.edu/registrar/gpacc.php/
Texas Common Application - for 4-year universities in Texas https://www.applytexas.org/
Common Application - for all 4-year universities https://apply.commonapp.org/
Peterson's College Information - a website that allows users to search through a database of colleges and universities by programs offered as well as scholarships offered
Automatic College Admission - What will it take for you to be automatically admitted to a particular school? http://tea.texas.gov/index2.aspx?id=2147485632
Adventures in Education - a good college planning website that includes financial aid and money management tips http://www.aie.org/
My Majors - helps users find colleges that offer certain degrees and majors https://www.mymajors.com/
My Road to College - College Board's career and college planning site https://myroad.collegeboard.com/myroad/navigator.jsp
My Next Move - browse careers, education requirements, salary potential http://www.mynextmove.org/
Khan Academy - an online resource covering how to navigate the college application process, write a winning application essay, get financial aid, decide what school is best for you, and more https://www.khanacademy.org/college-admissions
Chegg - search free scholarships - Noteworthy is the Chegg College Admissions which lets applicants build a portfolio to showcase themselves beyond standardized test scores. http://www.chegg.com/
Cappex - Use this college search to find and compare tuition, admissions information, and what scholarships are available to you. Noteworthy is the Campus Reviews Search which offers more than a million campus reviews by students who have attended the schools. https://www.cappex.com/
College Scorecard - offers a way for users to compare colleges and universities https://collegescorecard.ed.gov/
USEFUL FINANCIAL AID LINKS
Tyler Junior College (TJC) Scholarships and Presidential Honors Scholarship (you could receive 2 years tuition free) TJC Scholarship Honors Scholars Scholarship.pdf
- Texas Farm Credit
- NFIB Young Entrepreneur Foundation Scholarship
- Peterson's Create-a-Greeting Card Scholarship
- Discover Card Scholarship Program Dec 31
- Complete Web Resources Scholarship Jan 1
- MVP Visual Design Scholarship Jan 1
- Marvel Optics Scholarship Jan 5
- Countdown to College Scholarship Jan 5
- Technology Addiction Awareness Jan 30
- I Have a Dream Jan 31
- ETCF Scholarship List 3 1 2017.pdf
- TTA Scholarship 3 3 2017.pdf
- Cooperative Teachers Credit Union Scholarship 3 10 2017.pdf
- Scottish Rite Scholarship 3 30 2017.pdf
- Beta Omega Chapter of Delta Kappa Gamma Scholarship 3 31 2017.pdf
- Antique Tractor Club of Wills Point 4 25 2017.pdf
- Texas Interscholastic League Foundation
- J T Wiggs Memorial Scholarship 4 3 2017.pdf
- Karen Winters Scholarship 4 3 2017.pdf
- Ken Autry Davis Memorial Scholarship 4 3 2017.pdf
- Rotary Club Scholarship 4 3 2017.pdf
- Round Em Up Scholarship Application 4 3 2017.pdf
- VanZandt County Farm Bureau 4 3 2017.pdf
- WP Ladies Club Scholarship 4 3 2017.pdf
- Wills Point Pilot Club Scholarship 4 3 2017.pdf
- Wills Point PTO 4 3 2017.pdf
- Wills Point Riding Club Scholarship 4 3 2017.pdf DEADLINE EXTENDED! NEW DUE DATE IS APRIL 21, 2017 - Ag and FFA participants, this one is for you!!!
- Wills Point Youth Sports Association 4 3 2017.pdf
- WPHS Athletic Booster Club Scholarship 4 3 2017.pdf
- WPHS National Honor Society Scholarship 4 3 2017.pdf
- WPHS Spanish Club Scholarship Application 4 3 2017.pdf
- Stu-Co Scholarship Application 2017 4 3 2017.pdf
- VanZandt County Retired Teachers Association 4 7 2017.pdf
- Society of Women Engineers 4 15 2017.pdf
- Trinity Valley Electric Co Scholarship 4 21 207.pdf
- Bluebird Scholarship Application 4 28 2017.pdf
- Texas Builders Foundation 4 28 2017.pdf
- The City National Bank Wills Point Scholarship 5 1 2017.pdf
- Red Bird Scholarship Packet 2017 5 7 2017.pdf DEADLINE EXTENDED TO MAY 19th
- City of Wills Point Waste Management 5 12 2017.pdf
- Sigma Chi Fraternity 5 19 2017.pdf
- Justin Dugger Scholarship.pdf NEW DUE WEDNESDAY, MAY 24th
- 2017 Ozarka Natural Spring Water 10 000 Every Drop Counts 5 26 2017.pdf
FAFSA (Federal Application for Federal Student Aid) https://fafsa.ed.gov/
Fast Web - Scholarship search site http://www.fastweb.com/
Scholarship Guidance - Scholarship search site http://scholarshipguidance.com
Price of College Calculator - http://www.collegeforalltexans.com/apps/collegemoney
Student Guide to Financial Aid - http://www.finaid.org